the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

combat 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: combat 2011
    Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 3:41pm
I'm still trying for that elusive iconic adder combat photo - here are some from today which aren't great but which might get the ball rolling for better pics from the rest of you!

tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 5:39pm
A couple from today on Mendip.  Not quite iconic standard I'm afraid!  Though they show the behaviour well.

These guys were really going for it.  After a few minutes of full on fighting, one slithered up a grassy tussock, and the other seemed to try to follow, but slid back as if exhausted.  The "tired one" then seemed to be searching for the "one that got away".  I'm not sure if I interpreted what was going on correctly.  Great to watch though.

Tim.

Edited by tim-f - 17 Apr 2011 at 5:42pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 8:35pm
Well done Tim - they look pretty iconic to me!  keep em coming folks
Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:33pm
I couldn't get a shot I liked sadly!

Got some video footage... =)
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 10:09pm
I've seen Adders "dancing" 3 times now, and it's really hard to get decent photos.  They move really quite quickly, so it's hard to get them in focus and freeze their movement.  I wish I'd upped the ISO from 400 to maybe 800 to get a faster shutter speed and smaller aperture.  Then there's the undergrowth that tends to get in the way.  Plus snakes are really the wrong shape to be photographed - too long and thin.

I saw a couple of females today.  Do the males wait for the females to actually appear before fighting for dominance?

Tim.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 6:24pm
Nice one Mark, they look very warmed up in the clips - also like the third male just relaxing in the second clip.

I know what you mean, Tim - there's always some bit of gorse or bramble in the way, and they move so fast - certainly too fast for my non DSLR camera!  the only chance is to wait for the brief pauses in between bouts, when they sway their heads more slowly.  I reckon the scent of a female is what sets them off - they get all twitchy.  Without that, they just seem to bask happily close to each other.  BTW at one of my sites there are hardly any females out - 3 out of 26 yesterday and the males look bored!  I wonder if the dry conditions in the south are delaying females from emerging.

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 4:24pm
Great stuff lads iam not jealous hmmmm keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic