the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adders 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adders 2011
    Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 10:12pm
Gower, South Wales Smile
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 9:42pm
well done Mark - great late spot, especially given that she's an adult female.  Which part of the country?
Cheers
Will
Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 5:48pm
Last adders of the year? (28/10/11)

3 females, 2 males and one juv seen. Smile

Edited by Mark_b - 29 Oct 2011 at 10:14pm
kithara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kithara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 9:26am
amazing animals.. am very exited i found this forum 
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 12:00pm
Oddly, my earliest adder was sat in the middle of a gravel track, about 10m from its hibernaculum. I haven't the faintest idea what it was up to, but it protested quite strongly when I moved it off the track (as it's used by quite a few Forestry Commission vehicles, also cyclists and walkers).

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 7:43pm
Probably directly on top of hibernacula Suz, there is approximately a two week period whilst the male adders will sit directly on top of the hibernation site or very very nearby, returning to their winter quarters at night. Once you get an eye for hibernacula it isn't too difficult to pin them down. I've often walked onto a site and made a mental note of likely spots to be well rewarded the following spring. It's a bit like spotting reptiles, once you have seen a few they get easier to spot.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 1:20pm
Yes Gemma I think doing the rounds of the spring/summer basking spots is not what I should be doing in Feb. I'm not sure of any hibernacula sites so I guess that is why I'm unlucky, as I read on here of people in the north seeing them early on, I guess near hibernacula.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 11:34am
My mid-Feb adders always come from known hibernacula, that may be a factor Suz as they are animals that have only moved a few feet from their winter dens to the surface and I know exactly where to look. Target survey time is late morning/midday in mid-Feb, so quite out-of-line with what we normally expect to be a good time to take a look.
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 10:41am
Adders are occasionally out in February up here in Co. Durham- my earliest is 9th Feb, but I think other people have seen them even earlier.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:10am
I've tried many years to see adders in Feb. but no luck. I did think maybe here in East Devon we weren't an optimum place from a weather/temp angle but I don't think that can be the whole reason.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic