the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bitis armata

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bitis armata
    Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 7:16am

***Message for T.P***

Hey,

I noticed you were conducting ongoing reserach into the re-classifed Bitis armata. Are you also  conducting specimen I.D surveys???

I was in De Hoope nature reserve in January with the University of Exeter and found a juvenile specimen (I think!!) close to a stone wall in the car park, which I also managed to photograph. Would yhis photo prove useful in aiding your study at all??

Regards

Kev

Vanderklam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 10:11am

T.P,

Not sure which car park exactly (I was asleep in the van!!). I remember a footpath then a board walk to the left of the path which took you directly onto the dune system (stunning it was too!). The specimen was found tightly coiled under a loose rock (quite late in the morning/early afternoon ) that had been removed from the wall. It was actually within the vicinity of the car park. It was no more than 15 cm max as i remember I captured it using my scorpion tweezers!! Would you prefer me to email you the pics or post it here???

Kev

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 10:13am
oops!!! Thinking about it some more, board walk onto dunes was on the right not left, hope this helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 10:59am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 11:01am

More info: Photo taken on Jan 22nd at 11:27 am, but thats all the detail I have unfortunately, hope this is viable info for you.

By the way, tried to pm you and it says you have reached your limit for recieved pm's????

Kev

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2008 at 11:03am
I will also email my graduate colleagues and lecturers to see if they have any other images that may better assist in your I.D
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 4:23am

Kev

I live closeish to Exeter uni and wander the local heaths snake spotting. Do you do any reptile research locally? The cliff and undercliff in the Weston/Branscombe area are wick with adders and the last smooth snake in Devon was killed in that area many years ago. I ask this as heaths are seen as THE place for reptiles in Devon and yet this area seems to be overlooked. The undercliff is full of mice.

Suz
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 4:28am
That's a very pretty armata Kev', good find
O-> O+>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic