the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adders at Burnham Beeches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adders at Burnham Beeches
    Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 5:58am

I

Usually, I see many more Grass Snakes at Burnham Beeches than Adders.  It's classic Grass Snake country with wide, boggy clearings amongst deciduous woodland.  I do see Adders, but far fewer. 

So, I was surprised to  find 3 under the same tin last Fiday while there with a mate.  This was only the second time I've ever found Adders under tin.  I promise didn't arrage them in descending order of size!

Steg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 8:48am

Beautiful :)

Don't suppose you care to disclose where abouts in BB I can find adders? I am desperate to see them again in the wild (haven't seen any since I was a child) and I've been to Greenham Common and found none, and have yet to venture to Burnham Beeches. Just wondering if you could give a few pointers?

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Steg Steg wrote:

Beautiful :)

Don't suppose you care to disclose where abouts in BB I can find adders? I am desperate to see them again in the wild (haven't seen any since I was a child) and I've been to Greenham Common and found none, and have yet to venture to Burnham Beeches. Just wondering if you could give a few pointers?

Hi Steg,

I'm afraid we're only allowed to give a rough guide on here and not pinpoint locations to the spot (especially in the case of our rarer herps and adders possibly more so - some people get a thrill from killing them sadly). I used to look around BB as a child visiting grandparents, and although don't recall seeing adders I did see grass snakes and common toads...Well worth a visit.

Steg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 9:35am

Ah, fair enough :) some people have too much time on their hands..very sad that they'd get a kick out of killing them. Poor things. The larger adder in that photo is stunning. Such gorgeous animals.

BB is only down the road from me really, so I'll have to go and have a mooch about on my next day off I think. Got a common toad sitting with me right here actually, hehe, I work in a garden centre and one of the guys just brought him in to me because he'd hitchiked in on a plantpot. Off to the nature reserve with him tonight I think!

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 9:46am

Hi Steg,

A belated welcome to the forum :)

Worth taking a camera if you've got one, every chance of seeing something tomorrow with the weather like it is. Can you get a shot of the toad that was brought in with the flowerpot? Be interested to see it :)

Steg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 10:12am

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/princess_doom/0709200 7.jpg 

There's the link for the toady pic. Not very good, as the digital camera here is no good for close up shots, so I had to use my phone. Only a baby :)

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 10:23am
Thanks for going to the effort Steg, nice little toad. Got some common toads of various sizes living in a raised herb garden out the back of my cottage, they get very tame especially when hand fed waxworms each week. Good luck finding those adders tomorrow :)
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 11:19am

Burnham Beeches has been managed very well for reptiles since the introduction of grazing.  Some areas are even closed off in Spring to allow them to thrive and, if you look, you can see reptile-friendly piles of logs and patches of brush dotted aqround the place.  You will see signs here and there that mention the presence of Adders, so look where you see the signs.

A good pointer would be to have a look at a map online and locate the larger clearings.  Forests are very good for reptiles but you won't see much in the thick of the trees.  Have a look at where the sun is falling (or would do if it was out)and search the sunny sides.  Good luck!

Edited by st rick
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 11:30am

How do you delete a post altogeter on the forum when you realise you've made a silly mistake and posted the same pic twice?

Edited by st rick
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 2:11pm

Tony, never seen Adders at Littleworth Common, but quite a few Grassies, including some big ones, as I reported to you a while ago.  The common is looking pretty wild right now and the ponds are clean.  I tend to look close to the water as this area is best for the Grassies.  There's a lot of bracken there, which perhaps favours Natrix.  I certainly would not rule out Adders at Littleworth.

You will be pleased to note both pubs doing well.  The Jolly Woodsman under new management and packing them in all week it seems.

I must check out Stoke Common.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic