the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unwanted Grass Snakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unwanted Grass Snakes
    Posted: 01 Jun 2003 at 10:03am
My garden in West Oxon is literally infested with grass snakes. They are all very small and have probably just hatched out but they are creating havoc with my frog and newts residents. I let a few know that I'm not happy with them being around but they don't seem to get the message, I haven't hurt any of them in case you misunderstand. I'm afraid I'm one of those people that get nervous even looking at the little critters, any ideas how I can encourage them to relocate before the frogs and newts are exterminated?
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2003 at 10:15am

Hi Harry,

Firstly I've moved the post and re-titled it as the thread you used is for field observations.

My own view is that your grass snake population is testimony to the success of your garden at providing habitat for wildlife. It is simply nature that grass snakes will be found where frogs and newts are abundant and the way it has always been. The grass snakes are very unlikely to have any significant effect on the numbers of amphibians in your garden, domestic cats are far more of a threat.

The steps that would discourage grass snakes will also be detrimental to the amphibians, such as removing available cover.

Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 10:06am
First, I second everyhting Gemma has written.

A few additions: the hatchlings you are seeing are much too small to eat adult frogs or newts - they will only go for tadpoles or very recently metamorphosed frogs. These suffer extremely high mortality over the winter in any case - the excess predation from the sankes will make little difference.

All amphibians have a breeding system geared towards the production of vast numbers of juveniles of which very few will survive into adulthood. Consider that, in order for a population to maintain itself, all that has to happen is for every female to produce, OVER HER LIFETIME, on average two juveniles that survive to reproduce themselves. Then think of the number of eggs laid by the average frog. There is a *huge* excess which will not survive, and whose survival is not required to ensure the continuation of the population. The baby grass snakes will make no difference.

Additionally, the juvenile grass snakes will disperse soon anyway - there is a high concentration after they hatch, or after the babies emerge from hibernation, but soon, you won't see many of them. So rest assured that they will not exterminate your amphibian populations.

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 10:11am

Just a thought... isn't it rather early for natrix eggs to be hatching?

Cheers,

Alan

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 10:16am

They usually lay the eggs in June or July hatching taking 6 - 10 weeks depending on the temperature.

Harry, when you say very small, can you estimate the length for us?

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 10:22am

Yeah, That's what I thought. Maybe Harry has some of last years still hanging around.

Alan

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2003 at 2:05pm

Ineedhelp,

I moved your post to a new thread "Feeding Juvenile Grass snakes" where it will get more views.

ladychatterbox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladychatterbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2004 at 11:34am
can you please let me know if the snakes have gone - I have only one in my garden at the moment and I am scared stiff of it - please give me some good news
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2004 at 12:51pm
Hiya Lady chatterbox :¼)

I do understand your phobia , and I think it's great that you are trying so hard to overcome your fear and understand these wonderfull creatures .But, If this snake really is causing you alot of distress you could send me a PM saying in what area you live . If i'm fairly local I will come and move it for you

All the best,
Alan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic