the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Berkshire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berkshire
    Posted: 19 Jul 2006 at 6:00am
I am desperate to find adders in Berkshire.. I live in Maidenhead and have seen no sign of adders in Maidenhead at all. There is one slow worm site near me which has hundreds of slow worms, lots of vivaparous lizards, and a small population of sand lizards, as well as rodents and the odd amphibian. Do you think I'd find adders here? If not, does anyone know any reliable places in Berkshire where I can go and see adders?
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2006 at 6:48am
Get in contact with Berkshire RAG, do a google and you will come up with contact details. That is probably the best suggestion i can come with.  There are a few BRAG members on the forum so they might be reading this.

Mark 
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2006 at 9:33am

Originally posted by Princess_Venom Princess_Venom wrote:

I am desperate to find adders in Berkshire?

Hi

I'm a member of BRAG (Berkshire Reptile & Amphibian Group) and also the group recorder.  We do have a few sites for adders in the county, though we actually have very few modern records for the species.  I'm not sure of the forum policy on naming sites, but it is certainly no secret around here that there are adders at California Country Park in Finchamstead.  If you want to contact me off list I could give you one or two other possible sites to visit.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) is interested in Herps in Berkshire, you might want to sign up to the BRAG Yahoo Groups system at BerksHerpGroup-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk   There is not much traffic on the list but you would get notification of meetings / training courses etc.  I'd also be very keen to get the details of your local Herp sites for the BRAG database, we have very few herp records from the eastern part of the county.

Regards

Matt

Princess_Venom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2006 at 4:04pm

Originally posted by armata armata wrote:

Hi Princess,

There used to be adders at Maidenhead Thicket. Back in the ice age when I was reptile recorder for what was then 'The Middle Thames Natural History Society'; there were many sites; perhaps best not to name them; but Burnham Beeches is well known - and desparatly needs some up to date survey. If you can get access some parts of Windsor Gt Park still have adders.
General sites - Virginia Water, Black Park, Marlow Common, Littleworth Common.
If you are prepared to slog it you will find 'em.

Cheers

Not so sure about the thicket any more, I was up there the other week and spent the day amongst the ferns and logs.. no sign what so ever, but I'll be back up there again because it looks a pretty good habitat for them. Thanks for the general sites, I'll be checking them out :) Ah the joys of only working at the weekends!

*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 5:39am
hi princess Ive been to a site at black park not far from me Ive seen slow-worms common lizards grass snakes but still no adders
PAUL SMITH     
stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2006 at 10:28am
I believe Adders have been sighted at Black Park previously however I have not heard of any sightings in the last 5 years - does anyone know if a population is still present.
mikebrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2006 at 7:20pm

Hi Princess,

I used to live in South Bucks, and can tell you a site by PM not too far from Maidenhead where adders used to be abundant and apparently still occur, although in much reduced numbers.

Cheers,

Mike Brown

Princess_Venom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2006 at 10:14am
Originally posted by mikebrown mikebrown wrote:

Hi Princess,

I used to live in South Bucks, and can tell you a site by PM not too far from Maidenhead where adders used to be abundant and apparently still occur, although in much reduced numbers.

Cheers,

Mike Brown

Sorry for the late reply, had been on holiday :)  that would be great if you could let me know where near Maidenhead I might find them. Getting a little late to find one, and I *will* find one before the years out hehe. It's typical how when you look for them you never find them - my first year actually looking and it's the first in many years that I haven't seen any!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic