the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skunked then bittern

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skunked then bittern
    Posted: 24 Jun 2006 at 4:03am

i caught this grass-snake the other day got skunked as usual

put it on the floor for pics, then came the hissing Ive handled loads of G-S over the years nothing unusual, loads of strikes all bluffs

but this one seemed to strike with its mouth open, curiosity said see what happens  OUCH   

paul009.jpg

paul034.jpg

PAUL SMITH     
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2006 at 4:25am
And I heard you scream Paul
O-> O+>
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2006 at 4:54am
ROFL, nice one Paul...any reaction to the bite area ?
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2006 at 5:55am
Originally posted by Vicar Vicar wrote:

any reaction ?

Only a big girly scream that I heard at my house Steve.

Just teasing you Paul me old matey
O-> O+>
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2006 at 6:03am

Paul,

how big/long was the snake? very unusual except in larger individuals. Obviously didn't like the look of you! Lol

RobV
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2006 at 8:03am

Was it Tony who got a bite from a grassie last year and got quite a bit of swelling? Somewhere on these forums I think.

Just off for a walk on the coast near Branscombe past the place where possibly the last smooth snake in Devon was seen and clobbered to death a hundred years ago almost. The area is alive with adders and I do always wonder if there might still be smoothies left.

Suz
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2006 at 12:47pm

Urggh,

I hate scorpions. That would do it for me, I'd be arranging a flight home! It looks a nasty piece of work as well. You'd be much better off with a hornet.

Rob

RobV
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2006 at 3:38am

hi steve no reaction at all the grass-snake was fine lol  kept bleeding a bit but that was all.

PAUL SMITH     
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2006 at 3:47am
hi rob the snake was a good 2ft if moor and very stocky played dead twice no attempt to bite when handling
PAUL SMITH     
*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2006 at 4:00am

hi Al do you think the grass-snakes at that site have lernt new tricks or have they been hanging around adders two long  i will probably get attacked by a slow-worm next you watch   

PAUL SMITH     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic