the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early adders?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2006 at 12:42pm
Nice one Paul
O-> O+>
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2006 at 1:26pm
I took my daughters to the new forest reptile centre to introduce them to V. Berus.   Well I don't think it would've been a good idea to take them out 'in the wild' to look for them.   Theres a melanistic one there.

Mark

*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2006 at 1:38pm

male  female two days ago

paul108.jpg

paul084.jpg

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2006 at 5:24pm

Nice shot of the male(s) but where is the female?

JC

*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2006 at 5:37pm
hi jon isnt the bottom pic a fm the zig zag markings were brown ?
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2006 at 6:48am

The markings look black to me - and looking at the tail which is partially hidden the animal looks like a male.....are there any other shots of the tail?

JC

John Newton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Newton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2006 at 8:17am

Hi Paul/Jon

Having looked at the bottom piccie, I think the animal is almost certainly a male - tail length (extended taper), overall body colouration, pure white upper labials (as far as I can tell).

Any other detailed shots of the head and/or tail might be definitive. 

Looks like there has been some Birch thinning on site - is this fairly localised, to create a habitat mosaic with a some beneficial open areas for regeneration, or is the management likely to have an adverse impact on the resident herps ??

John Newton

South Yorkshire ARG
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2006 at 9:47am

Yep my thoughts too

Jon

Jerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2006 at 11:48am
I photographed the adder dance today at our local heath, have seen this twice now , they fought for about 40 mins and crawled over my legs as they did so . when i have sorted the pics out i will post some .
jerry
Jerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2006 at 1:45pm
i took about 50 shots of this today, having problems downsizing and saving at the mo but will post some more soon!

Edited by Jerry
jerry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
  Share Topic